Follow the steps :
CTRL + ALT + DEL
Start Task manager
type explorer & press ENTER
have they now returned?
Do they disappear the next time you reboot? If so, explorer.exe is missing
from the shell string under Winlogin registry key
Type regedit & press ENTER
in the right pane is the shell string I mentioned above. It should read like
Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe
Close the registry editor
In short, the proposed action plan that worked for him and seems to be
working for me follows. Jay
I read many posts related to the topic and eventually did the following:
1. booted up to windows
2. ctrl+alt+del to get windows task manager
3. File, new task, typed regedit, clicked ok
4. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Image File Execution Options\
5. In there I had an explorer.exe folder that I deleted (you may have an
entry in the root of the Image File folder as well.. delete them also).
6. Rebooted and everything was back to normal.
7. Breathed a sigh of relief.
You can back up the explorer.exe folder (and files in the Image File
Execution Options root if applicable) by exporting them before the deletion
Hopefully this thread will save many people lots of time in the future.